Facts and Information
Gary begins his first season with the Cubs as the team's Major League third base and infield coach ... brings with 23 years of coaching and managerial experience, including four Minor League manager of the year awards.
- The former Minor League infielder and outfielder was signed by the Cubs as a non-drafted free agent in 1982 ... appeared in 899 minor league games, hitting .283 with 23 homers, 291 RBI and 225 steals.
- Began his coaching career in the Athletics organization, managing the Rookie League A's at the age of 29 ... in 15 seasons as a minor league skipper, amassed a 1,039-972 (.517) record, leading four clubs to league titles.
- Prior to joining Cubs, spent the last 11 years with San Diego, including the last seven seasons as the roving Minor League infield coordinator.
Managerial and Coaching Career
Gary enters the 2014 campaign with 23 years of experience as a manager or coach, winning over 1,000 games in 15 seasons as a Minor League manager in Oakland's, Boston's and San Diego's farm systems.
- Named manager of the year four times: with Single-A Madison in 1991, Double-A Huntsville in 1994 and Triple-A Edmonton in both 1996 and 1997.
- Spent the previous 11 seasons with San Diego ... was the organization's minor league infield coordinator from 2007-13 following four seasons as a Minor League manager. In 2010, was named the recipient of the Jack Krol Award, given annually to acknowledge excellence in player development in the Padres system ... also won the award in 2003 and 2004.
- Managed Double-A Mobile to a share of the Southern League title in 2004 after joining San Diego as manager of Single-A Fort Wayne in 2003.
- Managed in Boston's system from 1999-2001, leading Triple-A Pawtucket to a franchise record 82 wins in 2000 ... was the franchise's Minor League field coordinator in 2002.
- Was Oakland's Major League first base coach in 1998 following eight seasons (1990-97) as a minor league manager in the organization. Managed Edmonton to consecutive Pacific Coast League titles in 1996 and 1997.
Gary played eight minor league seasons after he was signed by the Cubs as a non-drafted free agent in 1982 ... went on to play 899 games, hitting .283, and drawing 783 walks compared to 542 strikeouts in 3,751 plate appearances.
- Spent four seasons in the Cubs organization, from 1982-85, making stops with Single-A Geneva, Rookie League GCL Cubs, Single-A Quad Cities, Single-A Lodi and Double-A Pittsfield.
- Joined Oakland's system in 1986, and reached the Triple-A level with Tacoma in 1987 ... also played in Tacoma in 1988 and 1989.
- Primarily played second base (568 games), but also saw action (225 games) in the outfield.
- In 1986 with Double-A Huntsville, set a career mark with 140 ... had 128 walks, contributing to a .464 on-base percentage.