BALTIMORE -- Infielder Ryan Goins headlines the list of Blue Jays prospects who received this year's R. Howard Webster Awards, which recognize the most valuable players on each of the club's Minor League affiliates.
Goins was named MVP at Triple-A Buffalo after he hit .257 with 22 doubles and a .311 on-base percentage in 111 games. The Texas native also provided well-above average defense at shortstop with an impressive .981 fielding percentage during a year that also included a handful of games at second and third base.
It marks the second consecutive Webster Award for Goins after he was named MVP for Double-A New Hampshire following the 2012 season.
"I like everything I've seen out of him," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said of Goins, who was called up at the end of August. "He was there all year long and he's just a good steady baseball player. It's a good honor for him."
The other winners announced Tuesday included outfielder Brad Glenn (Double-A New Hampshire), second baseman Jon Berti (Class A Dunedin), outfielder Dwight Smith Jr. (Class A Lansing), first baseman L.B. Dantzler (Class A Vancouver), first baseman Matt Dean (Rookie Advanced), shortstop Franklin Barreto (Rookie League) and Miguel Castro (Dominican Summer League).
Barreto is ranked the club's No. 18 overall prospect, according to MLB.com. He signed for $1.45 million last July and made his debut this year in the Gulf Coast League. He ranked second on the team with a .299 average, first in the league with a .529 slugging percentage while also hitting 16 doubles, six triples, four homers and 30 runs.
Dean finds himself as the Blue Jays' No. 20 prospect on MLB.com's list. He signed an over-slot deal after being taken in the 13th round of the 2011 First-Year Player Draft and made his debut last year in the Appalachian League. He won the batting title in the same league this season with a .338 average and a .909 OPS. Dean also added 14 doubles, three triples, six homers and 37 runs in 63 regular-season games.
Blue Jays receive good news on Cecil, Rasmus
BALTIMORE -- Brett Cecil appears to have avoided a potential major injury after Blue Jays manager John Gibbons confirmed that the left-handed reliever is dealing with inflammation.
Cecil's season came to an end last week after he continued to experience soreness in his left elbow. The original diagnosis was inflammation, but he was scheduled to undergo further tests in Florida.
The latest round of examinations didn't reveal any structural damage and although that was the hope all along, the club can relax a little knowing he won't have to undergo any type of major surgery.
"He just has inflammation, that was it," Gibbons said. "You never really know until you get in there but, yeah, that was a relief."
Cecil needs an extended period of rest following a heavy workload during his first season as a reliever. He finished the year with an impressive 2.82 ERA while striking out 70 in 60 2/3 innings.
There had been some speculation from outside the organization that Cecil could possibly transition back into the rotation next year, but that has been ruled out. Cecil has said his preference is to remain in the bullpen while Gibbons echoed similar sentiments Tuesday afternoon.
"I like him there, he has been dominating in that bullpen role," Gibbons said. "You always look for those good lefties that can come in and get left-handed hitters out, those guys are valuable. I see him staying right where he's at."
Center fielder Colby Rasmus also received good news earlier this week when it was confirmed that he didn't suffer any major damage to his face after being struck by an errant warmup throw from Anthony Gose on Friday in Boston.
Rasmus' orbital bone on the left side of his face appeared secure during initial tests, but the club needed to wait until the swelling went down until it could know for sure. He has since been cleared, but has remained in Boston and isn't expected to rejoin the team before the end of the year.