SAN DIEGO -- Expanded use of instant replay could come to Major League Baseball in 2014 and Padres manager Bud Black, for one, is all for it.
"I'm for some expanded replay usage," Black said. "I think it's a good thing."
During the final day of the quarterly Owners Meetings on Thursday, the joint session was briefed on a proposal that would drastically increase the number of plays that can be reviewed, currently limited to boundary calls involving home runs.
The owners will formally vote on the issue at their next meetings in Orlando, Fla., in November. The changes must also be negotiated with both the Major League Baseball Players Association and the World Umpires Association, though the use of review for fair-foul calls and trap plays was incorporated into the most recent Basic Agreement.
"I don't know a lot about it or the mechanics of how it's going to work," Black said. "I know they were going to talk about it today. I just sort of caught wind of what's going on."
A review will be initiated when a manager informs the umpire that he wants to challenge a play. He will be allowed one challenge in the first six innings and two more from the seventh through the end of the game.
Concern grows over Quentin's injured knee
SAN DIEGO -- Carlos Quentin's balky right knee continues to bother him, so much so that the Padres left fielder got a second opinion on it Thursday.
Quentin, who hasn't played since July 30, visited the Kerlan-Jobe Orthopedic Clinic in Los Angeles.
There's growing concern as to when Quentin will play again this season.
Quentin, who had surgery on the knee in October and was limited in Spring Training, tested the knee Friday and Saturday in Cincinnati and reported soreness afterward.
"Carlos is in a situation where for him to do any baseball activities, it's painful, especially the defensive or on the running side," Padres manager Bud Black said Tuesday. "He can get into his stance and hit, but we're staying away from it just to let the knee heal. He's feeling better but not to the extent where he can get on the field."
Black is still hopeful that Quentin can return again this season.
Quentin was hitting .273/.363/.493 in 82 games with 13 home runs and 45 RBIs.
The Padres' offense has scuffled of late without All-Star shortstop Everth Cabrera (suspension) as well as Quentin. Earlier this week, the Padres were 3-for-55 with runners in scoring position before scoring seven runs in a victory on Tuesday.
"[Quentin] hits in the middle of our order; he's a guy we count on for productivity," Black said. "... Without him in there, our other guys need to be productive."
Robinson joins Padres with Hundley on paternity leave
SAN DIEGO -- Catcher Nick Hundley got his wish, as he was able to return to San Diego in time for the birth of his first child.
Hundley's wife, Amy, gave birth to a girl at 11:43 a.m. on Thursday. Hundley was there as the team returned Wednesday evening from Denver, where the Padres played a day game at Coors Field.
Hundley's daughter weighed in at seven pounds, 12 ounces.
The Padres purchased the contract of catcher Chris Robinson from Triple-A Tucson to fill in while Hundley is on paternity leave. Robinson arrived just before batting practice in advance of Thursday's game against the Mets.
The 29-year-old Robinson, who has never appeared in a big league game, was hitting .298 in 29 games with Tucson with 12 RBIs. He was acquired from the Orioles for cash considerations on June 20.
"A veteran catcher, a good catch-and-throw guy, solid defensively, comes with a lot of experience, calls a good game," said Padres manager Bud Black. "Our scouts felt he was a guy you can trust your young Minor League pitchers with or a Triple-A staff with, and they had no problem with him catching in a Major League game if needed."
Black said he planned on talking to Hundley at some point Thursday evening, before or after the game.
Hundley is required to miss Thursday's game and is allowed to miss up to three games before returning.
Earlier Thursday, the Padres transferred pitcher Jason Marquis from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list, creating an opening on the 40-man roster, which is at 39. Marquis had reconstructive elbow surgery earlier this month and will miss the rest of the season.